Small business excellence cited
The recipients of the six 2011 Business Excellence Awards were revealed at a banquet held Monday at the Delta Grand Okanagan Resort & Conference Centre.
Barry Meckler, president and CEO of Interior Savings, was honoured as the 2011 Business Leader of the Year, the award sponsored by UBC Faculty of Management.
The other business award winners were:
• Poppadoms Taste India! (owned by Serge Dosanj) was the recipient of the 2011 Rising Star award, sponsored by FortisBC. This award is for companies that have been in business less than three years.
Finalists: IT Services Kelowna, Vital Waters Inc.
Small Business Award (1-10 employees), sponsored by Prospera Credit Union
Recipient: Total Office Business Furnishings (Roy Collins & Carmen Sparg)
• Finalists: All Occasions Party Rentals Inc., X.10.SION 207 Clothing Company/Surf Culture Clothing Co.
• Mid-Size Business Award (11-30 employees), sponsored by BDO Canada LLP
Recipient: Barefoot Venus. (Cindy Danburger & Myra Murphy)
Finalists: Mara Lumber, Okanagan Staffing Services Inc.
• Large Business Award (31+ employees), sponsored by MacKay LLP
Recipient: O.K. Environmental Waste Systems Ltd., (Lance Shaw)
Finalists: Spider Agile Technology, Waterplay Solutions Corp.
• Community Impact Award, sponsored by Urban Systems
Recipient: Big Brothers & Sisters of the Okanagan, (Lisa Hobson)
Finalists: Central Okanagan Child Development Association, Kelowna Gospel Mission, Okanagan Valley Pregnancy Care Centre
“We salute those who have recognized a business opportunity, seized it and prospered,” said Karen Hawes, Kelowna Chamber of Commerce president.
“The accomplishments and dedication of all the finalists honoured last evening are impressive and their stories inspire us all. We are proud of the contributions these exceptional business leaders have made in our community.”
Presented by the Kelowna Chamber of Commerce and platinum sponsors the Business Development Bank of Canada (BDC) and Farris, Vaughan, Wills & Murphy LLP, the awards presentation is part of the annual Small Business Week, Oct. 16 to 22.