The Kelowna Fire Department doesn’t want to spook anyone, but the firefighters have some tips to help trick-or-treaters get through Halloween safely.
- When choosing a costume, stay away from billowing or long trailing fabric. Those who make their own costumes should choose material that won’t easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flame. If wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough to see clearly.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costume.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks, and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- It is safest to use a glow stick or battery-operated candle in a jack-o-lantern. Use extreme caution with real candles and make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit. Also make sure any decorative candles are well attended at all times.
- Keep exits clear of decorations, so nothing blocks escape routes.
- Fireworks are not allowed to be set off or discharged in the City of Kelowna unless authorized under the Fire and Life Safety Bylaw. A permit must be obtained through the fire department and the applicant must meet all the requirements of the permit process. A fine of up to $500 can be issued to anyone who is in violation of the bylaw.