Refrigerator magnets indicating Stage 1 Water regulations are in the mail this week to every utility customer in West Kelowna.
The intent behind the public information campaign is to provide a simple reminder to residents about when they can water their yards.
Unless necessary to elevate regulations for further watering restrictions, West Kelowna is always at Stage 1 regulations.
Stage 1 watering regulations are as follows:
◦ Sprinkling is only permitted at residential, commercial, and other non-agricultural properties as follows
◦ Even numbered addresses: Watering is only permitted on even calendar days
◦ Odd numbered addresses: Watering is only permitted on odd calendar days
◦ Automatically Controlled Underground Sprinkling Systems (residential and commercial):
◦ Properties equipped with an automated time clock sprinkler system may only sprinkle between the hours of 12 to 6 a.m. on the days permitted by the sprinkling regulations as described above
◦ Manually Controlled Sprinklers (Residential & Commercial):
◦ Properties equipped with only manually controlled sprinkling systems, including those attached to outside taps, may only operate from 6 to 11 a.m. and from 6 p.m. to 12 a.m. on the days permitted by the sprinkling regulations as described above
◦ Sprinkling is not permitted between the hours of 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. during any day at any time of the year
◦ Only one 1/2 inch diameter outlet (outside tap) may be used at any time for sprinkling, and further, it is not permissible to use an open pipe or hose for irrigating purposes
◦ Under certain situations, such as drought conditions, protection of works and the efficiency of the system as a whole, and whereby determined by the municipality, additional stages for regulations may be imposed, and are in effect until determined by the municipality
To find out more about watering regulations, including regulations for automatic irrigation systems and for water conservation tips please visit westkelownacity.ca/water