Songwriter Jerry Leger will be performing from his album, Nonsense And Heartache, in Kelowna June 15.
Out now via Latent Recordings, Nonsense And Heartache is equal parts primal rock and roll, and raw, confessional balladry. The separation between the two is evident by the album’s title, and it is in fact two distinct collections of songs presented on two slabs of vinyl. In many ways, Jerry Leger’s artistic path has been leading up to this ambitious display of both sides of his musical personality, fueled by countless nights playing in clubs and bars with a loyal band equally committed to keeping rock and roll’s original flame burning.
Employing his distinctive live-off-the-floor recording approach on Nonsense And Heartache, producer Michael Timmins of the Cowboy Junkies, focused on capturing the chemistry between Leger and his core musicians: multi-instrumentalist James McKie, bassist Dan Mock, and drummer Kyle Sullivan, along with guest vocalist Angie Hilts. The ragged-but-right results perfectly complement Leger’s tales of characters on the fringe, attempting to unravel life’s mysteries.
“Mike Timmins came up with the idea of doing a double album, but it’s really two different records – Nonsense and Heartache – packaged into one,” said Leger.
“He had the idea to record one album as electric, bluesy, dirty rock and roll, with James and I on electric guitars, Dan on electric bass and Kyle bashing away. The other album was intended to be more of a singer/songwriter record with me on acoustic guitar or piano, James on fiddle or lap steel, Dan on upright and Kyle using brushes and percussion. So, it’s not an ego trip for either of us. It just felt like it made more sense to put them together, plus the fact that neither is overly long, just about 35 minutes each.”
JERRY LEGER ON TOUR
- 05/02 Moncton, NB – Plan b *
- 05/03 Antigonish, NS – The Townhouse *
- 05/04 Charlottetown, PEI -Back Alley Music (3pm In Store)
- 05/04 Mount Stewart, PEI – Trailside Inn *
- 05/05 Halifax, NS – Taz Records (3pm In Store)
- 05/05 Halifax, NS – The Carleton (opening for Odds and Steven Page)
- 05/06 Saint John, NB – Backstreet Music (3pm In Store)
- 05/06 Kingston, NB – House Show *
- 05/13 Gravenhurst, ON – Sawdust City Brewery
- 06/02 Vankleek Hill, ON – The Windsor Tavern
- 06/03 Ottawa, ON – Irene’s
- 06/07 Winnipeg, MB – Times Change(d) High & Lonesome Club
- 06/08 Portage La Prairie, MB – Cafe On Prince
- 06/09 Dauphin, MB – Bruce’s Firehouse House Show
- 06/10 Saskatoon, SK – The Underground
- 06/11 Calgary, AB – The Ironwood
- 06/12 Edmonton, AB – The Needle (early show)
- 06/13 Prince George, BC – House Show
- 06/14 Horsefly, BC – House Show
- 06/15 Kelowna, BC – Fernando’s
- 06/17 Vancouver, BC – The Wise Hall & Lounge
- 07/21 Thornbury, ON – Bruce Wine Bar
- 07/22 Collingwood, ON – Crow Bar And Variety
- 08/09 Toronto, ON – The Horseshoe Tavern
- 09/08 Montreal, QC – Casa Del Popolo
- 09/09 Trenton, ON – Old Church Theatre