Television Listings

New Kids cancel Australia tour, blame recession

 Joey McInytre, Jonathan Knight, Donnie Wahlberg, Jordan Knight and Danny Wood (L-R) of the U.S. band
Joey McInytre, Jonathan Knight, Donnie Wahlberg, Jordan Knight and Danny Wood (L-R) of the U.S. band 'New Kids On The Block' pose during a photo call in Munich July 9, 2008. REUTERS/Michaela Rehle
— image credit: Reuters

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Reunited '80s boy band New Kids On The Block has canceled a planned tour of Australia, blaming the economic downturn amid reports of poor ticket sales.

Donnie Wahlberg said in a blog posting on the band's website that they had "exhausted efforts" to get the tour off the ground but it was proving to be "too complex."

"We are, in fact, in the middle of a worldwide recession and we just cannot make it work," he said without referring to reports that weak ticket sales had forced the decision.

The U.S. group, formed when the five band members were all teenagers, sold more than 70 million albums with their hits including "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" and "I'll Be Loving You," before breaking up in 1994.

They got back together last year and released their first album in 14 years, "The Block," before embarking on a tour. The band is currently touring the United States and Canada.

Wahlberg said the group was "saddened" to cancel the Australian trip scheduled for August as the nation had "always, always, been one of our favorite places to travel to."

"We can only assure you that when the recession's stranglehold on the world's economies eases up a bit - we will find a way to make this work," he said.

(Reporting by Belinda Goldsmith, Editing by Miral Fahmy)

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Surgical waits average five months in B.C.
 
Fogerty brings 1969 to the stage
 
Flu vaccine less effective against mutant strain
Avalanche warning issued
 
Women take back the night
 
Nelson knotweed problem mapped
The future of Castlegar
 
Festival shut down due to ongoing city labour dispute
 
UPDATE: Rice receives written confirmation of changes to wheelchair cabin policy

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 28 edition online now. Browse the archives.