The Collett House, which will be incorporated into the Collett Manor development, is a large two and a half storey wood-frame American Foursquare residence with a hipped roof, set on a large lot at the corner of Pandosy Street and Royal Avenue, built in 1913.
The Foursquare style was common during the Edwardian era as a rational expression of modern needs and conveniences. The exterior cladding reflects the pervasive influence of the Arts and Crafts movement that signaled loyalty to Britain and traditional values.
The house is distinguished by its broad hipped roof, central hipped roof dormer and full-width open front veranda.
Its heritage significance dates back to the home’s association with Horace Carlisle C. Collett (1881-1975), a businessman who was active in the community and played an important role in conserving Kelowna’s history.
Collett, in partnership with his brother, founded Collett Bros. Livery Stable. Later, he was the manager of the Belgo Land Co., and of Kelowna Land and Orchard.
He then moved to Okanagan Mission, where he was the real estate manager for Okanagan Loan and Investment Trust.
He was keenly involved in the Okanagan Historical Society and an active promoter of the restoration of the Father Pandosy Mission.