A week Saturday, Sept. 6, up to 2,000 participants will compete in Kelowna’s Wine Country Half Marathon.
The 21.1 kilometre race will start at 7 a.m. at The Vibrant Vine Winery on Pooley Road and make its way through East Kelowna, Lower Mission, South Kelowna, City Park and Waterfront Park.
To accommodate the event, parking restrictions, road and lane closures will be in place leading up to and during the event.
· The Water Street Boat Launch parking lot will be closed to the public from Friday, Sept. 5 at 1 p.m. to Saturday, Sept. 6 at 3 p.m. to accommodate event set up, parking and runners approaching the finish line.
· The Dolphins parking lot will be closed to the public from Friday at 8 a.m. to Saturday at 1 p.m. The parking lot will only be accessible to permitted monthly parkers during this time.
· On-street parking on Water Street (west side) from Sunset Drive to Cawston Avenue will be restricted on Saturday, Sept. 6 from 4:30 a.m. to 12 p.m. to accommodate shuttle buses transporting race participants. Vehicles parked along Water Street during this time will be courtesy towed to the City Hall parking lot located on the corner of Ellis Street and Doyle Avenue.
Motorists are asked to be cautious while driving through these areas as runners have the right of way through intersections during the race. RCMP, along with certified flaggers, will serve as traffic control personnel along the race route and all traffic controls and on-site personnel must be observed.
East Kelowna Road closures (6:30 – 8 a.m.)
Road will remain open for the last runner.
· Pooley Road to Bemrose Road
· Reekie Road Bemrose to McCulloch Road
· MCCulloch Road to Hart Road
· Hart Road to Todd Road
· Todd Road from Grantham Road to Saucier Road
Lane closures (6:30 – 8 a.m.)
Roads will reopen following the last runner.
· Saucier Road from Todd Road to Balldock Road
· Saucier Road from Swallows Road to Bedford Road (west side)
· Bedford Road from Saucier Road to Dehart Road (west side)
Lower Mission traffic advisory (8 – 10 a.m.)
Roads will remain open. Motorists are reminded that runners have the right of way through intersections.
· Bedford Road to Casorso Road
· Casorso Road to Mission Creek Greenway
· Gordon Drive to Barrera Road
· Barrera Road to Lakeshore Road
· Lakeshore Road to Watt Road
· Watt Road to Walnut Street
· Walnut Street to Abbott Street
South Kelowna traffic advisory (8 – 10 a.m.)Roads will remain open. Motorists are reminded that runners have the right of way through intersections.
· Abbott Street to Wardlaw Avenue
· Wardlaw Avenue to Chistleton Avenue
· Christleton Avenue to Abbott Street
· Abbott Street to Lake Avenue
For more information about the race and its route, visit destinationraces.com.
For transit route and schedule information, visit bctransit.com under Kelowna.