Cigarette likely behind fire at Kelowna Gospel Mission

Lunch was delayed at Kelowna Gospel Mission after a small fire broke out Friday morning.

“Just before noon, our staff discovered a small fire in the wall...near the entrance,” said executive director Randy Benson.

Staff evacuated some 70 people who had arrived for the noon meal and put out the flames before the arrival of fire crews.

Fire officials believe a discarded cigarette may have been behind the fire.

“There was a small hole in the exterior wall of the building and they’re assuming someone put a cigarette in the hole,” said assistant fire chief Lou Wilde.

Fire crews did make the hole larger to ensure the flames were out and then used fans to clear the smoke out of the building.

In all, people were out of the Gospel Mission for approximately 45 minutes and damage to the wall is estimated at $1,000.




We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.