- BC Games
Orchard Park gets even greener
In 2009, Orchard Park Shopping Centre set out to Go Green and achieve the BOMA BESt Level 1 certification (Go Green Best Practices).
Now just two years later, the shopping centre have continued our responsibility for reducing the impact we have on the environment.
In alignment with the waste reduction program implemented by the Regional District of Central Okanagan, Orchard Park’s ongoing Responsible Recycling initiative is in its next stage.
A new recycling program has been developed for the following list of items:
• 150,000 lbs of cardboard
• special bins collect electronic equipment, batteries and light bulbs or tubes
• office paper, packing paper, newspaper, magazines, shrink and bubble wrap, along with plastic containers are also diverted from the landfill
“While we are celebrating Earth Week, our commitment to the environment goes beyond just one week,” said Johnny Nielsen, operations supervisor. “Daily initiatives are undertaken to ensure we exceed industry standards and lead the way in being green.”
Initiatives that are ongoing at Orchard Park include:
• Exterior irrigation happens using our own wells, not city water
• Utilize a free cooling system, whereby outside air cools the inside of the mall
• Cooking oil is recycled into biofuels