News

Lit barbecue sets Cadder Ave. house ablaze

A barbecue that ignited nearby materials on fire is behind a blaze that caused $100,000 damage to a Cadder Avenue home.

Fire crews were called to the 400-block of Cadder Avenue after they received multiple 911 calls at around 6:45 p.m. on Saturday.

“First arriving crews found a two storey residence with fire on the outside of the building that was quickly spreading into the attic, second floor and threatening a neighboring building,” said assistant fire chief Jason Brolund.

Sixteen firefighters fought the blaze, preventing it from spreading to a neighbouring house.

However, a nearby shed was damaged.

They did manage to remove several items of value from the burning home, including a large collection of musical instruments, Brolund noted.

No one was injured in the fire and the three residents and their pets were being cared for by Emergency Support Services through the early part of the week. “The cause of the fire was determined to be a barbecue that started nearby materials on fire, then extended to the outside of the house,” said Brolund.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $100,000.

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Knights 2nd, Owls 3rd at UBCO Heat tourney
 
Irish takes bite out of Bears
 
Tips for the Elk Valley Outdoor Enthusiasts
Tucker shows saddle savvy
 
Sub skip secures Anchor
 
Miller flying back into top form
Points North swims to second
 
Swimmers off to provincials
 
Speedway remembers at memorial day races

Community Events, October 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 17 edition online now. Browse the archives.