- BC Games
Help to thwart vehicle vandals
About 30 vehicles were recently vandalized in Rutland, a sign again that vehicle owners must be vigilant in protecting their cars and trucks when parked at home.
Several streets were targeted and the vehicles had glass, interior and hammer-related damage.
Local ICBC staff immediately took action and visited the affected neighbourhoods on Friday, knocking on doors to resolve customers’ claims as quickly as possible.
RCMP subsequently arrested the suspects involved.
ICBC would like to remind drivers of six ways to help protect your vehicle:
1. Use an anti-theft device.
2. Park in well lit areas, near pedestrian traffic.
3. Remove possessions from your vehicle —shopping bags, spare change, electronics, brief cases, etc.
4. Do not keep spare keys to your vehicle in the vehicle. Remove valet keys.
5. Keep your garage door opener out of sight. If parking on the street outside your residence, take the garage door opener with you.
6. Wait for the garage door gate to close behind you. Thieves could take this opportunity to slip inside the parkade.