Arsonist goose on the loose
A goose was the culprit in a small brush fire in West Kelowna on Thursday morning.
Around 10:30 a.m., fire crews began work to extinguish the brush fire, which occurred on Angus Road, near Gellatly Road.
Kerry Klonteig, Westside Fire Rescue assistant fire chief, said that witnesses observed the disoriented goose fly into nearby power lines.
“Talking to RCMP that were on the scene, they had two witnesses that saw sparks from the wires and saw a goose fly into them,” said Klonteig.
“We looked around to see if it was still around, but we didn’t come out with it. (I guess) it clipped the wires together and caused the spark and was able to not get shocked and flew off.
“But it was definitely a goose that did it.”
Klonteig said that this incident is the first of its type that he’s ever come across.
“You get lots of circumstances where crows or something will land on a transformer and it’ll blow. But actually flying into the wires and making the two wires connect: I haven’t had that in my career.”
The blaze threatened one structure; however, fire crews were able to protect the building from damage.
“There was one building that it encroached upon a little bit. It burned a couple shrubs just around the house, but it didn’t get to the house at all.”
It took crews approximately an hour and a half to put out the brush fire.