Kelowna police issue plea for information on grim anniversary
Two years have passed since Christopher Daniel Hetu, 20, was murdered in Kelowna and police have yet to make any arrests, prompting a plea for information that may lead to a break in the case.
At approximately 2:11 a.m., Oct. 27, 2009 Hetu, who recently moved to Kelowna from Prince George, was discovered dead, in Mill Bridge Park. An investigation revealed that he died as a result of gun shot wounds and was the victim of a homicide.
It's believed he'd only entered the park an hour earlier on a BMX bike via the Gordon Drive entrance, which is across from Brookside Avenue.
Little has been made known about the case, but witnesses have said they heard five shots that night. It's also believed that police removed a gun from somewhere nearby the scene the day after the shooting. No confirmation on that has been made available.
"Police strongly believe that there are individuals in Kelowna and Prince George that have information about this murder," said Sgt. Ann Morrison.
"We are asking these individuals to come forward with this information and assist in identifying the person or persons responsible for Hetu's death."
The Kelowna RCMP in partnership with Crime Stoppers and CHBC News have produced a re-enactment video that has been aired on CHBC Global News, and is posted on the CrimeStoppers.net website. It was the recipient of the Crime Stoppers International 2011 TV Media Award for excellence in producing a crime re-enactment, although it hasn't led to any arrests.
The investigation into this killing continues and police are requesting that anyone with information, relating to this investigation, please contact the Kelowna RCMP at (250)762-3300, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or visit www.crimestoppers.net to report.