- 2015 Federal Election
Road closures for Remembrance Day
Roads in downtown Kelowna and Rutland will be temporarily closed for Remembrance Day parades on Friday, November 11 between 10:15 a.m. and 12 p.m.
The Royal Canadian Legion Parade downtown will mean the closure of:
- Mill Street from Queensway Avenue to Bernard Avenue
- Bernard Avenue from Water Street to Abbott Street
- Abbott Street from Bernard Avenue to Lawrence Avenue
- Lawrence Avenue from Abbott Street to Ellis Street
- Ellis Street from Bernard Avenue to Lawrence Avenue
The closures on Mill Street, Bernard Avenue and Abbott Street will be in effect from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. as veterans march to the Cenotaph in Veendam Gardens in City Park. Following the ceremonies, the parade will proceed up Lawrence Avenue to Ellis Street between 11:30 a.m. and 12 p.m. The Lawrence and Pandosy intersection will be closed to north-south traffic during this time, with the exception of transit buses. Parking will be prohibited along all these routes.
The Army, Navy, Air Force Veterans Parade in Rutland will involve the closure of:
- Dougall Road North and South, from McIntosh Road to Gray Road
- Gray Road, from Dougall Road South to Pemberton Road
- Pemberton Road, from Gray Road to Lions Park.
Ceremonies will take place at the Cenotaph in Rutland Lions Park. Expect minor delays as veterans cross at Highway 33 and Dougall Road before and after the ceremony in Lions Park.
RCMP will provide traffic control for both parades.
Kelowna Regional Transit employees will also pay their respects with one minute of silence at 11 a.m. All transit drivers will ensure their buses are safely pulled over to the curb and parked during this period.
The public is reminded City Hall will be closed on Friday, November 11 in remembrance. The Glenmore Landfill will be open regular hours, 7:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. and the Parkinson Recreation Centre will be open 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.