Kelowna man's trial starts for killing his mother

Cameron Capozzi in 2009 after he was arrested in Kelowna following the murder of his mother, Josephine
Cameron Capozzi in 2009 after he was arrested in Kelowna following the murder of his mother, Josephine 'Babs' Capozzi.
— image credit: Contributed

The Kelowna man on trial for allegedly killing his mother in 2009 was found by police mere metres away from the grisly crime scene, sprawled out against the wall of his shed and smelling of booze, the court heard Wednesday.

When he emerged from an apparent stupor upon officers’ repeated verbal prodding, the first words Cameron Capozzi spoke were: “Is my mother OK?”

Crown Counsel Martin Nadon revealed that, as well as other details he believed to be germane to the August 2009 death of Josephine “Babs” Capozzi, during opening statements of the second degree murder trial.

A 12 person jury—comprised of seven men and five women—were also told that the accused is an alcoholic who, at the time, lived with his 79-year-old mother.

“In the weeks leading to the death of (Josephine) he was on a bender,” said Nadon, noting witnesses have been lined up to speak to his actions in that time.

He will also bring forward Alix Capozzi—the accused’s aunt who found Josephine at the entrance way to her Young Road home. She’ll speak to Cameron’s actions on the day of the crime.

Offering a preview of that testimony, Nadon said Alix had arranged to fit the elderly woman with a medical bracelet, but when she got there found Josephine “lying on the floor, near the front door.”

She went to Josephine’s body, but was distracted by a “low voice.”

Alix then saw Cameron emerge from the hallway. He was holding something she believed to be a weapon, so she fled.

When he followed her into the light of day, she realized it was a crucifix, said Nadon, but she still drove away, and placed a call to 911.

In testimony that followed from Sgt. Robert Romanuik, it was suggested that calling 911 would not have been a possibility for anyone who was inside the home that day.

Romanuik mapped out the scene of the crime for jurors, flagging evidence such as blood splotches, a slipper on the front porch, bottles of whisky and beer and a necklace that had apparently been ripped from its owner.

He also testified about coming upon two handsets for cordless phones inside the home, that showed a message of “no link” when he tried to engage them.

Base stations for two cordless phones, as well as two other corded phones, were found unplugged from the wall, stored in a nearby spare bedroom.

No other phones were found in the house, Romanuik testified.

Jurors also learned Josephine was found lying on the floor with a knife in her right hand. Defence counsel questioned Romanuik about the dead phones, freshness of empty beer bottles and the distance between the back sliding doors of the house and shed.

Romanuik confirmed that the phones were found in the bedroom, the beer seemed fresh and the shed and the house are around 12 metres apart. While Romaniuk’s testimony will be counted as evidence, opening statements are meant to be viewed by the jury as little more than a guide for what’s to come.

Around 30 witnesses will be called by Crown Counsel. Josephine’s cause of death has yet to be revealed. The trial could continue for several weeks.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, July 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Jul 11 edition online now. Browse the archives.