Central Okanagan EDC wins provincial award
The Economic Development Association of B.C. has named the Central Okanagan Economic Development Commission as the recipient of its Economic Development Leader of the Year Award.
Announced earlier this week at EDABC’s annual conference in Richmond, the award recognizes individual or team achievement in the field of economic development.
“It is an honor for our team to be recognized for our leadership. Without the dedicated work of our staff, contractors, volunteer board and network of dedicated partners we just would not be able to get the work done”, said Robert Fine, the Central Okanagan's director of economic development
Examples of successful COEDC programs here include:
- metabridge, — Connecting emerging Canadian technology companies to California’s Silicon Valley through a series of targeted events and an annual premier retreat
- Business Beyond Borders — A seminar series that covers a wide range of global business development topics, including financing resources, exporting professional services, international business development opportunities and challenges, and intellectual property issues and exporting
- Business Enhancement Program — An intense program of connection and assistance to the Central Okanagan business community. The program has conducted approximately 200-250 site visits per year throughout the region, meeting directly with businesses of all sizes in all sectors;
- Okanagan Young Professionals Collective — A talented and energetic collection of individuals committed to cultivating a culture for Okanagan professionals in their 20s and 30s, powered by the COEDC
- Entrepreneur and foreign skilled worker recruitment — The economic development commission has helped local employers and foreign workers with the foreign skilled worker program since 2007. The COEDC is the first economic development commission in Canada to provide this service.
The COEDC is a function of the Regional District of Central Okanagan that provides a dedicated resource that responds to business-related inquiries and undertakes business development initiatives.