News

A man and his dog escape house fire

A Kelowna man and his dog are alive this morning due to a smoke detector that alerted them of a fire in their home at 3 a.m.

Damage to the Dickson Avenue duplex is estimated at $10,000 after fire crews succeeded in containing the fire to the living room area.

Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain Dale Calhoun says the incident serves as a reminder to everyone to ensure their smoke detectors are in working order by testing them regularly and changing the batteries where needed.

He said the man was asleep when his smoke detector went off and woke him up. He smelled smoke and had time to call 911 to notify the fire department of the fire in his home before he and his dog escaped through the bedroom window.

Three engines, one rescue vehicle, a command unit and 15 fire fighters responded to the call, along with the B.C. Ambulance Service, the RCMP and Fortis B.C.

They found smoke and flames coming from a small window in the living room.

Calhoun said the fire started in clothing and window curtains above the gas fireplace.

jsteeves@kelownacapnews.com

 

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

Kelowna Siblings to watch themselves on Disney TV
 
Rutland schools to be first to change grade configurations under proposed plan
 
New rules coming for local election spending
Athlete on the road to recovery
 
Cummings to rock Vernon
 
Helping literacy
Farewell to outgoing RDCK chair and directors
 
Meet Nelson’s next mayor
 
Meadow Creek Cedar hearing rescheduled

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Nov 21 edition online now. Browse the archives.