- BC Games
West Kelowna approves over $80K for cash grants-in-aid
They didn't always get what they asked for, but several community groups were given some sort of funding last week during the district's first round of budget deliberations.
Council approved $81,500 in cash grants and $253,225 in non-cash grants after mulling over 34 requests from various groups within the municipality.
Top cash grants were given to Westside Celebration Society ($16,000), Westside Canadian Red Cross ($12,000) and Liquid Lightning Swim Club ($11,500).
Dance City Academy Tour Group, Green Bay Bible Camp, Westside Minor Fastball Association and Westside and District Chamber of Commerce were among the groups that council decided not to give any funding to.
Ten of the groups were given the same amount of money as they received in 2012 after Coun. David Knowles passed an omnibus motion that bypassed in-depth discussion for each organization.
Coun. Carol Zanon said she was strongly against the decision to make several grant-in-aid decisions with a single vote.
"I do not believe in omnibus motions, I believe each of these organizations deserves a discussion in (their) own right," said Zanon.
Council also unanimously agreed to provide 12 community groups with the non-cash grants they requested.
The district granted the following amounts of money to various groups within the community:
- Peregine Royal Canadian Air Cadets requested $6,600 and received $1,500.
- Westside Canadian Red Cross requested $14,488 and received $12,000.
- Casa Loma Community Association requested $1,500 and received $1,500—subject to its project being approved by district staff.
- CNIB Kelowna requested $5,000 and received $1,500.
- Dance City Academy Tour Group requested $21,700 and didn't receive anything.
- Gellatly Bay Trails and Parks requested $2,000 and received $2,000.
- Green Bay Bible Camp requested $25,000 and didn't receive anything.
- Kelowna Rowing Club requested $3,000 and received $1,500.
- Kinsmen Club of West Kelowna requested $7,260 and didn't receive anything.
- Liquid Lightning Swim Club requested $11,500 and received $11,500.
- Okanagan Boys and Girls Club (Restorative Justice) requested $3,500 and received $3,500.
- Scouts Canada - Westside Scouts requested $3,000 and received $1,500.
- Telemark Cross Country Ski Club requested $1,500 and received $1,500.
- Bridge Youth and Family Services requested $10,000 and received $3,000.
- West Kelowna Community Policing Society requested $6,000 and received $5,000
- Westside Celebration Society requested $20,000 and received $16,000.
- Central Okanagan Bursary and Scholarship Society requested $1,000 and received $1,000.
- Westside Community Food Bank requested $7,500 and received $3,000.
- Westside Health Network Society requested $8,000 and received $8,000.
- Westside Minor Fastball Association requested $3,500 and didn't receive anything.
- West Kelowna Yacht Club requested $10,000 and received $5,000.
- Westside and District Chamber of Commerce requested $10,000 and didn't receive anything.