- BC Games
Elections BC seeks to enumerate voters for May election
Elections BC is conducting an enumeration and updating the provincial voters list for the May 2013 provincial general election.
Are you on the voters list?
“Elections BC is implementing a multi-layered approach to enumerating the province in advance of the May 14 provincial general election” explained Keith Archer, chief electoral officer.
“We are asking eligible voters to register and those already on the list to ensure their voter registration is up-to-date.”
Beginning Monday, Feb. 25, more than 1.9 million notices will be mailed to residential addresses in the province asking eligible residents to register to vote or to update their voter registration information.
Residents can do so online (www.elections.bc.ca/ovr) or by calling Elections BC toll-free at 1-800-661-8683.
Residents may also identify the names of voters no longer living at their address and request that their name be removed from the address.
Starting on March 6, Elections BC voter registration officials will provide voter registration opportunities throughout the province at shopping malls, community centres, campuses and more.
Voter registration officials will be conducting door-to-door visits in selected high mobility neighbourhoods, new subdivisions and residential complexes.
View the electoral district specific voter registration opportunities on the Elections BC website at: www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/2013-voters-list-update/#opportunities/
“Look for us in your community,” said Archer. “Take the opportunity to register to vote or make sure your voter registration information is up-to-date. Be ready for the provincial general election.”
Register as a provincial voter online at www.elections.bc.ca/ovr or by phone at 1-800-661-8683.
• 3,276,388—number of estimated eligible voters in B.C. as of April 1, 2012 (BC Stats)
• 3,145,120—number of registered voters in B.C. as of February 11, 2013 (Elections BC)
•2,995,465—number of registered voters as of the May 12, 2009 provincial general election
• An enumeration is a set of voter registration outreach activities conducted before an election
• Enumerations improve the accuracy and completeness of the provincial voters list. This is particularly important in B.C., which has a high mobility rate.
• Creating an accurate voters list enhances the efficiency of the voting process. When voters are pre-registered they will receive timely information about voting opportunities, and are able to vote quickly and easily, reducing their time at the voting place.
• Beginning in April 2013, Elections BC voter registration officials will visit homeless shelters, social service agencies and long-term care facilities to register eligible voters and provide information about voting. The objective of these outreach activities is to make registration accessible for those who may otherwise face barriers to participation in the provincial electoral process.