News

A smoker caused a West Kelowna shed fire, snuffed by a resident

It was a fiery morning in the West Kelowna neighbourhood of Lakeview Heights Sunday, after a discarded cigarette set a shed ablaze.

The West Kelowna Fire Department issued a statement later the same day saying the fire was accidental and, thankfully, remained small due to the quick thinking of one resident in the area.

"When the first engine arrived, they reported that one of the residents had knocked the fire down prior to their arrival," said Darren Lee, West Kelowna Fire Department assistant chief. "The fire had started in an attached storage shed and was threatening to spread to the home.

"The quick action of the resident stopped the initial fire spread."

Damage to the home is said to be minor and the fire crews were able to perform their overhaul, to ensure the fire had not spread in the structure, very quickly.

Three fire engines, a fire safety officer, a command officer and a police squad car responded to the call for help.

Twitter: @jaswrites

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

B.C.-only wines to come to some grocery stores
 
Hunters protest shift favouring non-residents
 
Virk shuffled to new job after Kwantlen flap
NDP blasts lottery corporation spending
 
Green Party deputy leader challenges hunting regulation changes
 
Tourism Kelowna loves the look of the new Super, Natural BC
Undermanned Rockets welcome break
 
Folk sextet launches debut song
 
Car giveaway drives families forward

Community Events, December 2014

Add an Event


Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Dec 19 edition online now. Browse the archives.