News

A smoker caused a West Kelowna shed fire, snuffed by a resident

It was a fiery morning in the West Kelowna neighbourhood of Lakeview Heights Sunday, after a discarded cigarette set a shed ablaze.

The West Kelowna Fire Department issued a statement later the same day saying the fire was accidental and, thankfully, remained small due to the quick thinking of one resident in the area.

"When the first engine arrived, they reported that one of the residents had knocked the fire down prior to their arrival," said Darren Lee, West Kelowna Fire Department assistant chief. "The fire had started in an attached storage shed and was threatening to spread to the home.

"The quick action of the resident stopped the initial fire spread."

Damage to the home is said to be minor and the fire crews were able to perform their overhaul, to ensure the fire had not spread in the structure, very quickly.

Three fire engines, a fire safety officer, a command officer and a police squad car responded to the call for help.

Twitter: @jaswrites

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

You might like ...

ELECTION 2014: The Education Equation or why you should pay attention to school trustee elections
 
Central Okanagan school trustees take office
 
Across Canada runner raising awareness for diabetes
Teacher strike cheques in the mail
 
COLUMN: A varied, talented board
 
Haunted Halloween house helps the hungry
Cities target gaps in care for mentally ill
 
NDP Leader tours Teck mines
 
Amber Alert - Searching. Praying. Hoping. Waiting.

Community Events, November 2014

Add an Event

Read the latest eEdition

Browse the print edition page by page, including stories and ads.

Oct 31 edition online now. Browse the archives.