Lake Country cars focus of thefts
RCMP are advising the public to take the necessary steps to protect their belongings following multiple reports and a notable increase of both theft from / attempted theft from motor vehicles in the Lake Country area.
Over the past couple of weeks the Lake Country RCMP have noticed an increase in the reports of theft from motor vehicles in the areas of Darlene Road, Hallam Road, Roberts Road, and Pretty Road to name a few. The items stolen from vehicles in these areas include purses, wallets, credit cards, personal identification, keys, cash, clothing, sunglasses, and hand tools etc.
Police ask that the public follow these tips to help prevent future thefts:
· Park in open, visible areas. Avoid parking behind fences and hedges;
· At home, light your driveway at night. Elsewhere, park in well lit areas near pedestrian traffic;
· Do not leave any wallets or purses containing personal identification in an unattended vehicle or you could become a victim of identity theft;
· Remove all valuables from plain view, even if your car is locked. Take the items with you or secure them in the trunk out of sight;
· Report any suspicious persons or activities near a vehicle in your neighbourhood to police immediately, and let the police determine if it’s a crime in progress;
For further tips and best practices to prevent theft from motor vehicle, visit the B.C. RCMP Website at bc.rcmp.ca
Anyone with any information is asked to call the Lake Country RCMP at 250-766-2288. Remain anonymous by calling Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477, leaving a tip online at www.crimestoppers.net or by texting your tip to CRIMES (274637) ktown.