- BC Games
West Kelowna RCMP detachment wins silver
The West Kelowna RCMP detachment has earned a silver certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED).
Mayor Doug Findlater said the district is proud of the recognition received from the Canada Green Building Council.
"The RCMP detachment holds a special place for council because it was the first building project we deliberated over and agreed to build," said Findlater.
"I recall council wrestling over the construction costs for our new municipality and debating the merits of many of the environmental design elements and whether we could afford them all.
"As it happened, we made a controversial decision to delay tendering the project by one year and saved approximately $1 million."
Findlater said he felt council made the right decision to build the West Kelowna RCMP detachment and retain the energy efficiencies and environmentally-friendly design elements to lower emissions and reduce the building's long-term operating costs.
"What we have is a building that is highly functional for the RCMP members who serve and protect our community."
The 1,767-square-metre building opened in October 2010 and was built at a cost of $8.46 million. The RCMP E-Division have committed to paying 53 per cent of the operational and debt servicing costs through lease agreements.
Green features of the building include:
- Contaminated soil removal and site reclamation of the former Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure works yard
- Roof planted with natural vegetation to filter pollutants and carbon dioxide, reduce energy costs and manage storm water
- An underground cistern that catches and stores rainwater that can later be used for landscape irrigation
- Solar panels for heating the building's water
- Low flow plumbing
- Efficient lighting and high use of natural daylight in 90 per cent of indoor spaces to reduce energy consumption
- At least 20 per cent of materials produced regionally
- Use of low emission products, including paint, carpet and adhesives
- Diversions of 75 per cent of construction waste from landfill through recycling or reuse
- Bicycle storage facilities included and transit service provided nearby.