Accused Kelowna killer applying for venue change
The man charged with the 1993 killing of Jennifer Cusworth is applying to have his trial moved out of Kelowna.
Neil George Snelson appeared in court via video Monday morning to schedule his upcoming manslaughter trial, but that was delayed until April 14 when a change of venue application will be heard.
Although the court has yet to learn where Snelson's defence would prefer to hold the trial, the victim's mother, Jean Cusworth, has heard rumours that Kamloops is the preferred venue. It's a change she said she could live with. If Vancouver were chosen, however, that could pose a problem.
"Too many people have to travel too far for it," she said.
Cusworth, who lives out of town, will return to Kelowna for the April 14 change of venue hearing and will attend every subsequent court date, regardless of the location.
Snelson was arrested in 2009 for Cusworth's then cold-case killing.
He was convicted of manslaughter in 2011, but late last year he won an appeal when the B.C. Court of Appeal ruled the trial judge erred in allowing a specific piece of evidence.
Jennifer Cusworth was found beaten and strangled after a Kelowna house party in 1993. For nearly 15 years the case