A man and his dog escape house fire

Smoke detectors are credited with saving the life of a Kelowna man and his dog in the early hours of the new year.

A Kelowna man and his dog are alive this morning due to a smoke detector that alerted them of a fire in their home at 3 a.m.

Damage to the Dickson Avenue duplex is estimated at $10,000 after fire crews succeeded in containing the fire to the living room area.

Kelowna Fire Department platoon captain Dale Calhoun says the incident serves as a reminder to everyone to ensure their smoke detectors are in working order by testing them regularly and changing the batteries where needed.

He said the man was asleep when his smoke detector went off and woke him up. He smelled smoke and had time to call 911 to notify the fire department of the fire in his home before he and his dog escaped through the bedroom window.

Three engines, one rescue vehicle, a command unit and 15 fire fighters responded to the call, along with the B.C. Ambulance Service, the RCMP and Fortis B.C.

They found smoke and flames coming from a small window in the living room.

Calhoun said the fire started in clothing and window curtains above the gas fireplace.

jsteeves@kelownacapnews.com