A Jones Avenue fire has displaced two dozen seniors.

Cause determined in fire at Kelowna seniors home

The cause of the fire was electrical in nature.

The cause of a fire that displaced 26 residents from Okanagan Manor on Wednesday afternoon has been confirmed as electrical in nature.

That determination was announced Friday, after fire investigators and the B.C. Safety Authority probed the cause of the blaze at the Jones Street seniors complex.

On Wednesday afternoon, a resident noticed smoke in the hallway before 911 was called and residents were evacuated.

The alarm reportedly didn’t go off.

Arriving firefighters noticed smoke on the roof and traced the fire to the building’s electrical room.

The 26 residents were provided emergency food and accommodation for 72 hours by Emergency Social Services.

“The Central Okanagan Regional Emergency Program continues to work with the building owners, volunteers from ESS and other community organizations to ensure that all residents that were displaced by the fire have accommodations until they can return to their homes,” said assistant fire chief Lou Wilde.

It is possible the residents will be back in their homes sometime next week, he added.