UPDATE: Storage-room fire contained

Paper towel stored to close to a light bulb ignited the blaze

  • Thu Apr 20th, 2017 11:30am
  • News

UPDATE: 1 p.m.

Paper towel stored close to a light bulb ignited a storage-room fire in West Kelowna Thursday morning.

West Kelowna Fire Rescue assistant fire chief Brent Watson says crews were called to the fire at approximately 10:28 a.m. on Bridal Hill Lane.

“This fire is not suspicious,” says Watson. “It looks like some high-rack storage with several rolls of paper towels stored on it, came into contact, through radiant heat, with an overhead halogen bulb in the ceiling, which ignited the paper towel and spread into the storage room.

“Heat from the fire caused an overhead water line to fail, which actually helped to control the fire until WKFR crews arrived.”

Once on scene, crews quickly extinguished hot spots, pulled down the impacted walls and ceiling and ventilated the house.

Watson says this fire was a stark reminder of how a fire like this could start.

“WKFR reminds the public to always ensure there is adequate space between heat sources (such as lights, space heaters, candles, etc.) and combustibles (including drapes, paper, flammable liquids, etc.).”

Fortunately the fire was contained to the storage room in the basement and no one was injured in the blaze.

——

ORIGINAL: 11:30 a.m.

West Kelowna fire crews quickly put out a house fire in the Smith Creek area of West Kelowna Thursday morning.

The fire department was called to the fire at Bridlehill Drive and Bridlehill Court at about 10:30 a.m..

There was no visible external damage following the fire.

More to come.