Kelowna seniors displaced by fire

Dozens of Kelowna seniors are displaced following a fire that broke out in their Jones Avenue housing complex this afternoon.

Dozens of Kelowna seniors are displaced following a fire that broke out in their Jones Avenue housing complex this afternoon.

“I was out to pick up the mail when I noticed smoke in the hallway,” said Claude DeLongchamps, a resident of the North End seniors complex.

“About five or 10 minutes later, it was filled with smoke — the alarm didn’t go off or anything.”

He then called the fire department, which arrived immediately, deploying 18 firefighters and four engines.

“First arriving crews saw the smoke on the roof and when they investigated, they found the fire was coming from the the electrical room,” said Kelowna’s assistant fire chief Lou Wilde.

“We evacuated everybody, then opened the roof to expose the fire.”

Although the cause has yet to be squared away, Wilde said they assumed the problem was to do with wiring, and there’s been significant damage wrought.

As such, the 26 residents will be in the hands of emergency services for the next while, and there’s no estimate when the building will be back in operating order.