From one side of the Central Okanagan to the other there will be loads of Canada Day activities to partake in.
Festivals Kelowna is holding its annual, free community festival on the country’s 150th.
There are over 50 activities and performances that will will be held in Waterfront Park, Jim Stuart Park and Kerry Park, as well as Prospera Place for residents and visitors to celebrate our nation’s birthday..Over 60,000 people have attended these celebrations each year. This year watch for some special new activities in honour of Canada’s Sesquicentennial year.
Prospera Place will feature:
- Official Celebrate Canada Day Ceremonies, including a “Happy Birthday Canada” cake presented by Coldwell Banker Horizon Realty (cake service approximately 1 p.m.)
- 44th Annual Kelowna Folkfest Celebrations – presenting Canada’s cultural mosaic through culinary experiences and live performances
- The Canada 150 Special Concert by the Kelowna City Band
Waterfront Park will feature the 20th annual “Celebrate Canada Day-Kelowna” including:
- Taste of Canada – a food fair featuring over 18 different vendors
- Made in Canada Marketplace – an artisan showcase of handmade, Canadian arts and crafts
- Canada Day Bazaar – a marketplace of unique items by local small businesses
- Community Groups Display – information displays by local community associations
In addition to the main hubs of activity here are a few more spots to check out:
- Ki-low-na Friendship Centre “Blanket Exercise”, Kerry Park, 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- OPUS Great Canadian Colour’ in – a giant mural to colour with your family and friends
- Canada Day at the Kelowna Art Gallery – drop by the gallery for plenty of Canada Day art fun and activities
- Additional activities include:
- Parks Alive! Power Stage supported by Power 104 FM, 12:30 to 9:30 p.m. is in Jim Stuart Park
- TD Beach Stage supported by K96.3 FM, runs from 12 to 10:15 p.m. is on Water Street, north of the Dolphin’s fountain.
- Kiwanis Kid Stage supported by Country 100.7 is at Pioneer Gardens from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Pacific Coastal Street Stage is on Water Street near the casino parkade from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
- Coast Capital Savings Youth Stage supported by 99.9 SUN FM runs from 6 to 10:15 p.m. in Kerry Park.
- Folk Fest stage will be at Prospera Place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Although admission to the festival is free, donations are greatly appreciated and help support the costs of this celebration. Volunteers with donation bins will be located at the entrances to Waterfront Park and at the entertainment stages.
Over in West Kelowna there will be fireworks and so much more …
- Summer Vibrations School’s Out Concert – free admission – Thursday, June 29, 7 p.m. at Memorial Park; food trucks on site, prices vary; hosted by Creative Okanagan and the City of West Kelowna
- Westside Daze, hosted by the Westside Celebration Society:
- Fireworks – free – Friday, June 30, 10:15 p.m. at Gellatly Bay near Willow Beach (parking is limited, please carpool; to avoid Gellatly Road closure between Witt Road and Angus Drive please travel via Glenrosa Interchange and Gellatly Road South or East Boundary Road, Ridge Estates Drive and Boucherie Road);
- Parade – free – Saturday, July 1, starting at 10:30 a.m. along Old Okanagan Highway, Drought Road and Brown Road; catch the West Kelowna Fire Rescue Wet Zone at the north end of Brown Road
- Road closures are in effect along the route and on Gossett, Bering and Butt Roads between Old Okanagan Highway and Brown Road, and on Brenda Lee Road from 10:30 to noon; traffic disruptions are possible in the area starting at 8:30 a.m. until about 12:30 p.m.
- Show N’ Shine Car Show – free admission – Sunday, July 2, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Memorial Park
- For details on other events, including the free kids fair and outdoor concerts at Memorial Park, please visitwww.westsidedaze.com
Peachland will have fireworks, parades and cake …
- Peachland community church pancake breakfast from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Chalk Art project is all day in Heritage Park, Spirit Square
- Magician Ali K. Zam will perform from 11 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. at Heritage Park in Spirit Square
- Gateway Concerts will run at 13th Street and Beach Avenue from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- A Canada 150 Ceremony with the official welcome and national anthem, children of the rainbow drum group and cake cutting from noon to 12: 30 p.m.
- Drumming workshop from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. in 15 minute increments
- Bouncy Castle waterslide will run all day from 1 to 8 p.m. at Heritage Park
- The parade line up is at 3: 30 p.m. a
- Parade from 4:40 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. on Beach Avenue
- Canada Day fun bat count is at 9 p.m.
- Fireworks are at 10:30 p.m. on the day wharf area
The Canada Day Parade will take place at a new time for 2017’s event. The Parade will now begin at 4:30 p.m. with marshaling of parade entries occurring no later than 4:00 pm at San Clemente Ave and Lake Ave.
Please submit your entries to Lynn Herrin by email (email@example.com) or fax (250.767.6256). She can be reached by phone at 250.7676225.
Click here for the 2017 Parade Entry Form
For information on the Canada Day Beach Run Click Here