Fire in West Kelowna.

Minimal damage following chimney fire

Fire crews were called to a chimney fire in West Kelowna.

Despite flames shooting from the chimney of a home, there was minimal fire damage to the residence.

West Kelowna fire crews were called to a house on Inverness Road in Glenrosa, about 6:30 p.m. Friday, after reports of a chimney fire.

According to Fire Chief Jason Brolund flames were visible upon arrival; however damage from the blaze was minimal.

“Crews contended with cold and slippery conditions, however the fire was quickly extinguished,” he said.

By ensuring fire hydrants around homes and neighbourhoods are shoveled it would assist fire crews in emergency situations during winter months.

The homeowners will not be displaced, and were able to return to their residence.

“The public is reminded that they should have their chimney and wood burning appliances serviced on a regular basis,” explained Brolund.

Three engines, 15 firefighters and one command unit responded to the incident.