An enthusiastic crowd celebrated the winners of the third annual Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board Commercial Zone’s Commercial Building Awards handed out last Thursday at the Hotel Eldorado.
The gala event highlighted the best in commercial building for OMREB’s jurisdiction, from Peachland to Revelstoke, celebrating projects completed between Jan. 1, 2010, and Sept. 1, 2011.
“The awards recognize the unique variety of quality commercial, industrial and investment real estate developments throughout the Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board,” said Gary Bowker of OMREB’s Commercial Zone executive and the 2011 awards committee chair.
“We see the event as a great opportunity to raise awareness of the new real estate projects that enhance our communities through their design.”
There were eightcategories represented at the 2011 event sponsored by FortisBC, ReMax Commercial and Business Examiner Okanagan.
A ‘Judge’s Choice’ award for best of show was also be chosen by the adjudicators.
“The judges had a very difficult time making up their minds on the award winners, as there were a wide variety of buildings from throughout the region with many different styles and unique aspects about them,” Bowker noted.
“It speaks to the creativity we have in the Okanagan and Shuswap, particularly when it comes to commercial buildings.”
The 2011 winners of Commercial Building Awards were:
• Commercial: Big “O” Tires Building, 1900 Old Okanagan Highway, West Kelowna
• Commercial Retail: Kettle Valley Village Building, 5315 Main St., Kelowna
• Community Institutional: Tutt Street Place: Now Canada, 2970 Tutt St., Kelowna
• Community Senior’s Housing: Society of Hope’s Apple Valley Senior’s Housing, 2055 Benvoulin Crt., Kelowna
• Industrial: Gienow Windows Building, 876 McCurdy Pl., Kelowna
• Mixed Use (Multi-Family and Retail): 550 West Ave., Kelowna
•Renovation, Existing Building: Laurel Packing House Restoration Project, 1304 Ellis St., Kelowna
• Green: Willowbridge, 330 Boyce Cres., Kelowna
• Judge’s Choice: 550 West Ave., Kelowna