On Sunday, Oct. 7, various complete and partial road closures for the 2012 BMO Okanagan Marathon will be in effect from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Marathon road race will affect vehicle traffic in the following areas.
North End (North of Highway 97)
• Abbott Street from Leon Avenue closed to traffic (6:30 to 8:45 a.m.)
• Bernard Avenue from Abbott Street to Water Street closed to traffic (6:30 to 8:45 a.m.)
• Water Street from Bernard Avenue to Clement Avenue closed to traffic (6 30 to 8:45 a.m.)
• Sunset Drive from Clement Avenue to Recreation Avenue closed to all but local traffic (6:30 to 8:45 a.m.)
• Manhattan Drive and Recreation Avenue between Sunset Drive and Richter Street closed to traffic (6:30 a.m.to noon)
• Richter Street from Cambridge Avenue and Clement Avenue open to southbound traffic only (6:30 a.m. to noon)
• Ellis Street from Clement Avenue to Broadway Avenue open to northbound traffic only (6:30 a.m. to noon)
• Trench Place, Ethel Street, Bay Avenue and Jones Street open to local traffic only
• Manhattan Drive and Guy Street open to local traffic only in a clockwise pattern; enter and exit at Bay Avenue only (6:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.)
South end (South of Highway 97)
• No access to Abbott Street at Lake Avenue or Vimy Avenue. All traffic from Lake Avenue, McTavish Avenue, McDougall Street and Vimy Avenue must exit at Beach Avenue and Abbott Street (7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
• Abbott Street from Lake Avenue to Cedar Avenue open to northbound traffic only (7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
• Glenwood Avenue from Abbott Street to Ethel Street open to local traffic only; expect delays where participants cross Pandosy Street and Richter Street intersections (8 a.m. to 1:15 p.m.)
• Raymer Avenue from Richter Street to Gordon Drive open to local traffic only
• KLO Road at Campus Road East participants crossing; expect delays (8 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.)
• No left turn allowed from KLO Road to Casorso Road. No southbound traffic allowed on Casorso Road from KLO Road to Lanfranco Road (8 a.m. to 1:40 p.m.)
• Casorso Road from Barrera Road and KLO Road open to local traffic only
• Scott Road, Landie Road, Patsy Road, Moberly Road and Swordy Road local traffic can exit via Lakeshore Road and enter via Casorso Road (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
• Lakeshore Road at Swordy Road, participants will be crossing; expect delays (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.)
• Watt Road, Walnut Road and Meikle Avenue closed to southbound traffic; northbound traffic enter from Watt Road only (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.)• · Northbound Mission area traffic should consider avoiding Lakeshore Road north of Cook Road and should use Gordon Drive instead.
Motorists must observe all traffic controls advising of the road closures and watch for participants along the route. Transit service may be affected for the #1, #2, #4, #8, and #12 routes. For further information on bus schedules during the event, visit bctransit.com/regions/kel or contact 250-860-8121.
Yield to participants running on pathways in City Park, Waterfront Park and Gyro Park.
For more information about road closures, visit kelowna.ca/roadreport.
The City of Kelowna’s park services department has re-opened the Priest Creek trail at Balldock Road.
The trail was closed in May due to fallen creek banks and trees, and uneven surfaces resulting from late spring heavy rain falls.
As winter approaches, rain and snow will hit the Okanagan and residents are asked to continue using caution along all trails that line a creek, as the banks can become extremely saturated.
For more information, visit kelowna.ca/parks.