The 26th annual Great Okanagan Book Sale has something for everyone in the family.
The book sale, organized by Friends of the Library, takes place at the Immaculate Conception Parish Hall, on Sutherland Avenue in Kelowna.
The dates and times are:
• Thursday Oct. 16 from 9:30 am to 9 pm
• Friday Oct. 17 from 9:30 am to 9 pm, and
• Saturday Oct. 18 from 9 am to 3 pm.
You will find a hall-full of adult books—fiction—mystery, romance, western, sci-fi); non- fiction as well as many subject areas, in both soft and hard covers, for the bargain price of $1 each.
There will also be a whole room full of children’s books best bargain priced at 50 cents each.
In addition the book sale includes:
• Large print books and titles in other languages.
• Media items—CDs and DVDs
• Premium books for $2, $5, $10—high quality content, good-as-new).
Last year, the 25th anniversary book sale raised over $24,300, thanks to more than 150 energetic volunteers.
In addition, smaller sales across 2013, proved successful with over $36,200 raised.
Regular smaller sales keep the group’s sorting house volunteers and directors busy collecting and sorting books for the Spring Sale held in April, and the summer Outdoor Sale held in July).
Sale items consist of books withdrawn from circulation in the Okanagan Regional Library network and public donations that are still in good condition just needing new homes with grateful readers.
What happens to funds raised at Friends Book Sales?
In May each year FOL directors review wish lists submitted by the Okanagan Regional Library branches—for 2014, $9,652 and for 2013, $12,645 worth of items were approved for purchase using the Friends of the Library funds.
FOLs foremost commitment is to support children’s literacy skills via the Summer Reading Club program, with funding for contests, prizes, crafts, workshops and guest presenters at the three branches. This annual allocation has increased from $4,000 to $7,000 (2012) and $6,525 (2013).
Wish list items funded at branches include:
• Public performance rights licensing for monthly free movie nights
• Display shelving units, props and pedestals
• Board games and game board table
• Flat-screen TV and mobile stand;
• Presentation station;
• Fairytale Mural for children’s reading nook;
• A Themed mat at the children’s desk.
• iPods, Lego sets and puppet theatre for children’s programming
• Bean bag chairs for children’s and teens area
• Christmas trees for adult and children areas
• Electric fireplace and seasonal decor.
Come out and support literacy in the Okanagan on Oct. 16 to 18.