North End Road Closures (North of Highway 97)
Closures are in effect from 6:30 a.m. until 9 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9, unless otherwise noted.
• Abbott Street from Leon Avenue to Bernard Avenue
• Bernard Avenue from Abbott Street to Water Street
• Water Street from Bernard Avenue to Sunset Drive
• Sunset Drive from Water Street to Manhattan Drive closed to northbound traffic until 9 a.m. only; southbound traffic open: expect delays until 12:30 p.m.
• Ellis Street from Recreation Avenue to Broadway Avenue closed to southbound vehicle traffic only until 12:30 p.m.; expect delays
• Manhattan Drive and Recreation Avenue between Sunset Drive and Richter Street closed until 12:15 p.m.
• Richter Street remains open to vehicle traffic, expect delays when participants cross at Recreation Avenue until 12 p.m.
• Weddell Place, Trench Place, Ethel Street, Bay Avenue, Jones Street and Broadway Avenue closed except for local traffic until 12 p.m.
• Manhattan Drive and Guy Street open to local traffic only in a clockwise pattern; enter and exit at Bay Avenue, until 12:30 p.m.
South End Road Closures (South of Highway 97)
Closures are in effect from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Local traffic is allowed but delays should be expected.
Vehicles looking to access the south end of the city (south of Barrera Road/Casorso Road) are encouraged to use Gordon Drive to avoid road closures and delays. Pandosy Street will remain open; however, expect delays as runners cross at West Avenue and Swordy Road.
• No access to Abbott Street (southbound) from Highway 97. Traffic can turn south at Pandosy Street.
• Abbott Street from Highway 97 to Meikle Avenue closed to southbound traffic only, northbound local traffic allowed
• Meikle Avenue, Walnut Street and Watt Road closed to southbound traffic; northbound traffic can enter at Watt Road
• Lakeshore Road at Swordy Road; participants will be crossing; expect delays
• Swordy Road from Lakeshore Road to Casorso Road, local traffic only
• Casorso Road from Swordy Road to KLO Road closed to northbound traffic only, use Gordon Drive as alternate route; southbound traffic allowed
• KLO Road at Campus Drive East, participants will be crossing; expect delays
• Raymer Avenue from Gosnell Road to Pandosy Street
• Richter Street at Raymer Avenue – participants will be crossing; expect delays
• Tutt Street from Raymer Avenue to West Avenue
• West Avenue from Tutt Street to Abbott Street; expect delays as participants cross Pandosy Street at West Avenue
• City Park parking lot will be partially closed from Oct. 4 to Oct. 12 to accommodate set-up and tear down for the marathon event. The lot will be fully closed on Saturday, Oct. 8 and Sunday, Oct. 9.
• On-street parking will be restricted on Bernard Avenue, from Abbott Street to Water Street, and on Abbott Street, from Leon Avenue to Bernard Avenue, from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9.
• On-street parking will be restricted on Water Street, from Bernard Avenue to Sunset Drive from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 9.
Transit services may be affected for routes #1, #2, #8, and #97. Riders should expect delays on these routes and plan their trip accordingly. Visit bctransit.com/regions/kel for route and schedule information.
Residents can reduce traffic congestion by carpooling. Use HOV lanes and travel to popular destinations, such as downtown, with ease.
In addition to the marathon on Sunday, there will be a 5 km race on Saturday, which will not impact traffic or transit. Motorists are asked to yield to participants running on pathways in City Park and Gyro Park throughout the weekend.