On Sunday, Oct. 11, there will be a number of full and partial road closures in place to accommodate the 2015 Okanagan Marathon. The marathon road race will affect vehicle traffic and transit schedules.
North End (North of Highway 97)
Closures are in effect from 6:30 a.m. until 9 a.m., unless otherwise noted.
· Abbott Street from Leon Avenue to Bernard Avenue
· Bernard Avenue from Abbott Street to Water Street
· Mill Street from Bernard Avenue to Water Street
· Water Street from Bernard Avenue to Sunset Avenue
· Sunset Drive from Water Street to Recreation Avenue closed to northbound traffic until 9 a.m. only; southbound traffic expect delays until 12:30 p.m.
· Ellis Street from Recreation Avenue to Broadway Avenue – closed to southbound vehicle traffic only until 9:30 a.m.; northbound traffic expect delays
· Manhattan Drive and Recreation Avenue between Sunset Drive and Richter Street closed until 12:15 p.m.
· Richter Street remains open to vehicle traffic, expect delays when participants cross at Recreation Avenue until 12 p.m.
· Weddell Place, Trench Place, Ethel Street, Bay Avenue and Jones Street and Broadway Avenue closed except for local traffic until 12:30 p.m.
· Manhattan Drive and Guy Street – open to local traffic only in a clockwise pattern; enter and exit at Bay Avenue, until 12:30 p.m.
South end (South of Highway 97)
Closures are in effect from 7 a.m. until 2 p.m. Local traffic is allowed, but expect delays.
Vehicles looking to access the south end of the city (south of Barrera Road/Casorso Road) are encouraged to use Gordon Drive to avoid road closures and delays. Pandosy Street will remain open; however, expect delays as runners cross at West Avenue and Swordy Road.
· No access to Abbott Street (southbound) from Highway 97. Vehicles traffic should turn south at Pandosy Street.
· Abbott Street from Highway 97 to Gyro Beach – closed to southbound traffic only, northbound local traffic allowed
· Meikle Avenue, Walnut Street and Watt Road closed to southbound traffic; northbound enter at Watt Road
· Lakeshore Road at Swordy Road; participants will be crossing; expect delays
· Swordy Road from Lakeshore Road to Casorso Road
· Casorso Road from Swordy Road to KLO Road – closed to northbound traffic only; southbound traffic allowed, expect delays
· KLO Road from Casorso Road to Gordon Drive
o one eastbound lane closure, no impact on westbound traffic
o participants will be crossing KLO Road at Campus Road East and at Campus Road West, expect delays
· Raymer Avenue from Gosnell Road to Tutt Street
· Richter Street at Raymer Avenue – participants will be crossing; expect delays
· Tutt Street from Raymer Avenue to West Avenue
· West Avenue from Tutt Street to Abbott Street – expect delays as participants cross Pandosy Street at West Avenue
· City Park parking lot will be partially closed from Oct. 6 to Oct. 14 to accommodate set-up and tear down for the marathon event. The lot will be fully closed Oct. 10 until Oct. 11.
· Bernard Avenue, from Abbott Street to Water Street, and Abbott Street, from Leon Avenue to Bernard Avenue, from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 11 to accommodate the road closure.
Transit customers can expect delays for routes #1, #2 and #8 as participants cross at various intersections. There will be no service for the #2 North End Shuttle along Water Street between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. Visit bctransit.com under Kelowna for route and schedule information.
In addition to the marathon on Sunday, there will be a 5 km race on Saturday, which will not impact traffic or transit. Motorists are asked to yield to participants running on pathways in City Park, Waterfront Park and Gyro Park throughout the weekend.
For more information on the race and a detailed route map, visit okanaganmarathon.ca.