Marteny: Accessing your personal health file

Have you ever wondered what details are in your Interior Health personal health care file?

Have you ever wondered what details are in your Interior Health personal health care file?

Interior Health has a brochure called Caring for Your Information.

When you receive care and services from Interior Health, your personal information is collected, used and shared.

This is done under the authority of a variety of legislation within British Columbia including the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, E-Health Act, Health Authorities Act, Hospital Act and other legislations.

Personal information is any information that tells Interior Health who you are, including your legal name, address, telephone number, provincial health number or other identification numbers, and other identifying information such as your health information.

Access to your information is restricted to only authorize individuals. The information is collected, used and shared for several reasons such as your ongoing care and services which you may need to receive; to maintain contact with you about your health care, to gather information from family, friends and other organizations; to confirm your identity and personal health number with the B.C. Ministry of Health Services.

eHealth is a progressive health care initiative using information technology to provide the best possible care. Health information is stored in data repositories and is available across health authority boundaries through the electronic health record.

Each time you receive care from an Interior Health professional (for example, visits to Emergency, inpatient hospital or residential care, home or community care treatments or public health visits), that contact with you is recorded in your Health Record. It may contain personal information and reports describing your symptoms, examination and test results, diagnoses, treatment, outcome of treatment and future care/treatment plans.

You or your authorized representative can request access to, or copies of, your health record by writing to the health record department at the facility where you received care.

If you believe there is incorrect information in your health record, you can write to the health records department at the facility where you received care.

They will work with you to address your concerns.

Generally you will not have to pay for a copy of your health record. You may be charged for special processing of your request, for example, requests for copies of the same information, courier fees, special delivery, or other special processing services.

For more information contact the IH Information Privacy & Security, phone 250-491-6724 or email


Kelowna Capital News