It was a fiery morning in the West Kelowna neighbourhood of Lakeview Heights Sunday, after a discarded cigarette set a shed ablaze.
The West Kelowna Fire Department issued a statement later the same day saying the fire was accidental and, thankfully, remained small due to the quick thinking of one resident in the area.
“When the first engine arrived, they reported that one of the residents had knocked the fire down prior to their arrival,” said Darren Lee, West Kelowna Fire Department assistant chief. “The fire had started in an attached storage shed and was threatening to spread to the home.
“The quick action of the resident stopped the initial fire spread.”
Damage to the home is said to be minor and the fire crews were able to perform their overhaul, to ensure the fire had not spread in the structure, very quickly.
Three fire engines, a fire safety officer, a command officer and a police squad car responded to the call for help.