Another chimney fire in the Central Okanagan Saturday.
And West Kelowna Fire and Rescue (WKFR) is reminding all residents with wood burning appliances in their home to ensure their chimneys have been cleaned and assessed by a qualified (WETT) technician after putting out a chimney fire Saturday morning.
Multiple emergency vehicles responded to the 2700 block of Shannon Lake Road in West Kelowna Saturday morning around 11:15 a.m.
Engines 31 and 32, fire prevention and ambulance attended the scene and responding WKFR units reported visible flame coming from the top of the chimney upon arrival. Crews quickly laddered the roof to confine the fire to the chimney and ensure no extension onto the roof itself. They then cleared the chimney of excessive creosote build up to extinguish the fire.
All areas of the home were checked to ensure no extension into walls, cabinets or attic spaces occurred.
A total of seven firefighters in two engines and a command unit attended the fire. WKFR would like to thank the BC Ambulance service, RCMP, and Hydro all of which attended to help support this incident.
WKFR says with the recent cold temperatures there are increased heating demands put on this type of heat source.