Bacon murder suspects make first court appearance in Kelowna

One of the accused not present because he is in hospital.

  • Mar. 21, 2013 10:00 a.m.

Cheryl Wierda

Contributor

Two of the men accused of killing Red Scorpion gangster Jonathan Bacon and attempting to

kill four others appeared in a Kelowna courtroom Thursday for the first time since their arrest.

Jason Thompson McBride, 37, sat next to a shorter, stockier Michael Kerry Hunter Jones, 25, as the duo appeared by video in for a brief court appearance.

A third accused, 25-year-old Jujhar Singh Khun-Khun, was absent.

“Mr. Khun-Khun is still in hospital,” Crown counsel Dave Ruse told a justice of the peace.

The reason for him being in hospital was not disclosed in the courtroom.

Media reports from January indicate Khun-Khun was seriously injured in a Surrey shooting that month.

The Abbotsford News, a sister paper to the Capital News, also reported that the January 15, 2013 shooting was the third time since 2010 that Khun-Khun had been injured in gunfire.

Khun-Khun, McBride and Jones were all arrested in February in connection with the August 2011 shooting outside the Delta Grand hotel that killed Bacon and injured Hells Angel Larry Amero, Independent Soldier James Riach, and two young women, Leah Hadden-Watts and Lyndsey Black.

The court case, says Crown, is still in the “disclosure” phase. The next appearance for the men is scheduled for April 25.

Kelowna Capital News