McKinley Road was closed for a couple of hours last night, so fire crews could battle back a barn and house fire.
The fire, called in just before 4 p.m. Wednesday, was in the 1800 Block of McKinley Rd. and roughly 30 by 50 feet in diametre.
“The crews on scene protected nearby buildings from catching fire and extinguished the barn from the exterior due to the advanced nature of the fire,” said Steve Wallick, platoon captain for Kelowna Fire Department.
“There were some ducks and geese in the barn but it appears that they all made it out safely.”
Wallick said the cause of the fire is not suspicious and early reports suggest that it may have started from a heat lamp in the barn. An investigation is pending
The Kelowna Fire Department responded with 23 firefighters in five trucks.