Lake Country residents can enjoy Canada Day in a new location in the district this year.
The Rotary Club of Lake Country, in partnership with the District of Lake Country, Heritage Canada, and other community supporters, has announced its Canada Day festivities that will take place at Swalwell Park on July 1st to celebrate Canada’s 150th birthday.
“This year’s Canada Day celebration includes a full day of multi-cultural, family-oriented activities and has something for everyone” said event coordinator, Dave Colquhoun, from the Rotary Club of Lake Country.
In past years Beasley Park had been the location of the festival.
The celebration begins at 8 a.m. with a traditional pancake breakfast, hosted by Rotary, and then progresses to a full day of stage entertainment and tent exhibits which celebrate our ‘past, present and future together.’
· Come to the ‘big tent’ to ‘celebrate our Lake Country HiSTORY’. Includes a historical photo booth, artifact display, and a ‘speaker’s corner, with stories from the past (hosted by the Lake Country Museum);
· Join the Children’s Art Creation Activity, sponsored by the Lake Country Art Gallery;
· Visit the Children’s Garden Centre, sponsored by the Lake Country Garden Club;
· Create a Canadian Flag with Selfies, sponsored by ArtWalk;
· Enjoy a diverse stage entertainment program, featuring Folk and Rock Music, French Songs and Poetry, local dancers, and First Nation’s Hoop Dancing, beginning at 9 a.m. and extending until 8 p.m.
· Visit the market area to purchase food, crafts and other products from local Lake Country merchants;
· Watch ‘The Movie in the Park’, featuring ‘Beauty and the Beast’, hosted by the District of Lake Country.
“Rotary wishes to thank all our community partners who have come together to make this special Canada Day celebration possible,” said Rotary spokesperson, Dave Colquhoun. “We hope that this will be the first of many full day Canada Day celebrations in Lake Country.”
Canada Day event parking for the general public will be available at George Elliot Secondary School, Winfield Memorial Hall, District of Lake Country Municipal Hall, and the Winfield Arena/Lake Country Curling Club. Free shuttle bus service will be available from these parking lots from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Some event parking will be available at Swalwell Park for people with disabilities only.