Chimney fire in Kelowna forces family out of house

Kelowna Fire Department warning people to clean chimneys on regular basis after Friday night fire

Kelowna firefighters responded to a chimney fire late Friday night.

A family of five escaped safely after a faulty or dirty chimney caused a fire Friday night in Kelowna.

Three fire engines, a rescue truck, command vehicle and safety officer totaling 16 personnel responded to the incident. There were no injuries suffered.

It was the second fire in two nights in the area.

Kelowna Fire Dispatch received a 911 call from a home owner at the 2700 block of Springfield Rd. at about 11:15 last night, reporting smoke in their house above the fireplace.

When firefighters arrived on scene they could see light smoke coming out of the eaves of the house, indicating a fire in the attic.

Fire fighters had to remove part of the ceiling and wall around the fire place to extinguish the fire. The home suffered moderate damage and the occupants have been displaced.

The Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind everyone to clean and inspect their chimneys on a regular basis.