Close call for Kelowna resident who fell asleep while cooking

The fire was reported at around 2:48 a.m. and when fire crews arrived they saw flames coming out of a side window.

Kelowna Fire Department

A Kelowna man fell asleep while cooking early Thursday morning and awoke to a kitchen inferno.

The fire in the 500 block of Elliot Avenue was reported at around 2:48 a.m.  and when fire crews arrived they saw flames coming out of a side window.

“A lone occupant was there to inform them that the fire started in the kitchen,” said Steve Wallick, Kelowna Fire Department Platoon Captain.

“The occupant had fallen asleep while cooking. He woke up with the house full of smoke fled and house and called 911.”

The man was assessed by BCAS. Fire crews contained and extinguished the fire, however the structure suffered considerable damage.

There were no injuries. Three fire engines, one rescue truck, a command vehicle and safety responded with 16 personnel. RCMP, BCAS and Fortis also attended the scene.

The Kelowna Fire Department would like to remind the public to check their smoke alarms on a regular basis. “ Working Smoke Alarms Save Lives”