Police found 129 images and eight videos which met the definition of child porn on a laptop seized from the man. (File)

Convicted child rapist loses sentence appeal in Kelowna

The man was sentenced to seven years in prison in December 2016

A man convicted of raping a child and producing child porn lost his sentencing appeal in Kelowna court.

According to a Nov. 19 judgment from the B.C. Court of Appeals, the man pleaded guilty to sexual interference of a child under 16 and making child pornography in February 2015. In December 2016, he was sentenced to seven years in prison, serving consecutive sentences of five years for sexual interference and two for making child pornography.

The man is only identified as S.C.W. in the documents, due to a publication ban that protects any information that could potentially identify the victims.

The man was 43 years old at the time of the 2012 arrest in which he was caught by police in the act of sexually violating a 12-year-old.

On S.C.W.’s laptop and camera, police found 129 images and eight videos of the child which met the definition of child pornography.

“The videos must be experienced to fully understand the full measure of the crushing depravity of the acts,” said Justice Mark Takahashi the 2016 sentencing. “They were witness to the psychological dismemberment and decapitation of the sexual being of a pre-adolescent child.

“Breathless in their brutality, there are no words to describe the despair one felt for the child or the loathing for (the appellant), except a deep and abiding sadness.”

At the time of arrest, the abuse had been taking place for more than a year and S.C.W. had been in a position of trust with the child for more than five years.

S.C.W. sought the appeal on grounds that he believed the sentencing judge erred in principle in rejecting a psychological risk assessment that concluded he posed a low risk of re-offending and considering his victim’s young age as an aggravating factor.

In the judgment, the Court of Appeals found that the judge was under no obligation to accept or give weight to the assessment.

The court also found that the victim’s age was relevant to assessing the vulnerability of the victim and the age difference between the victim and S.C.W. was relevant to assessing his culpability.

“The egregiousness of the sexual offence against a child increases as the age of the child decreases,” said Justice Richard Goepel in his dismissal of the appeal. “Taking into account the age of the victim is an appropriate consideration of the specific facts of the individual offence.”

S.C.W. has remained in custody since his sentencing in 2016.

READ MORE: Former Kelowna-based B.C. Dragoons leader pleads guilty to possession of child porn

READ MORE: Kelowna man sentenced to 18 months probation for filming co-workers in washroom


@michaelrdrguez
michael.rodriguez@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Soccer legend Bob Lenarduzzi to speak about dementia in Kelowna

Lenarduzzi will speak at the inaugural Breakfast to Remember on Mar. 10

Kelowna RCMP arrest alleged impaired driver

The driver is facing potential charges after power pole collision

West Kelowna Warriors host Trail Smoke Eaters

The Warriors are coming from a Saturday loss against the Vernon Vipers

UBCO announces new top boss for Okanagan campus

Lesley Cormack will start in the position this summer

Nine West Kelowna athletes to go to B.C. Winter Games

The athletes will compete in biathlon and cross country ski

Kelowna’s Family YMCA opens doors on Family Day

The entire day was free for the community

New highway proposed between Alberta and B.C.

The route would connect Red Deer to Kamloops

Wet’suwet’en and B.C. government have been talking Aboriginal title for a year

Coastal GasLink says it has agreements with all 20 elected First Nations councils along the 670-kilometre route

Trudeau tightlipped on plan to end protests ‘quickly and peacefully’

The prime minister, who cancelled a two-day trip to Barbados this week to deal with the crisis at home

B.C. budget expected to stay the course as economic growth moderates

Finance minister said ICBC costs have affected budget

Canadian standards for coronavirus protection to be reviewed, health agency says

The protocols set out how health workers should protect themselves and their patients

South Okanagan mountain bore racist name for a half century

Nkawala Mountain was initially named in connection with the deaths of two black men.

Monday marks one-year anniversary of man missing from Langley

42-year-old B.C. man, Searl Smith, was last seen leaving Langley Memorial Hospital on Feb. 17, 2019

BC Ferries sailings filling up Family Day Monday

More than 20 sailings added between Swartz Bay and Tsawwassen for long weekend

Most Read