Downtown Kelowna fire sparked by space heater

"Investigation showed that the fire was caused from a space heater igniting a stack of papers that had been piled in front of it..."

  • Thu Nov 19th, 2015 5:00pm
  • News

A space heater sparked a fire in a downtown Kelowna  neighbourhood, prompting fire fighters to warn area residents to try and stay safe in their efforts to keep warm.

Kelowna Fire Department received a 911 call at approximately 3 a.m.  reporting a furnace fire in a residence in the 700 block of Coronation Ave.

“Upon arrival Fire personnel reported a fire inside the entrance into a carriage house on the property. The fire was quickly knocked down and overhauled,” said platoon captain Tim Light, in a press release.

There was no extension into other areas of the carriage house. One person was taken to KGH for smoke inhalation and there was extensive smoke damage.

“Investigation showed that the fire was caused from a space heater igniting a stack of papers that had been piled in front of it,” said Light. “Kelowna fire department would like to remind everyone to keep the area around space heaters clear of combustibles.”

ESS was called to assist the resident upon his discharge from KGH.