Drug case will go to trial after failed attempt to have charges tossed

Salvadore Ascencio-Chavez argued his right to a trial in a reasonable amount of time violated; Judge disagrees.

Cheryl Wierda Contributor

One of the men accused of smuggling 97 kilograms of cocaine in a fruit grinder in 2010 has had his bid to have the case tossed out rejected.

Salvador Ascencio-Chavez applied last week to have his drug charges stayed, arguing that his right to a trial in a reasonable amount of time had been violated.

By the time his trial is scheduled to conclude this spring, Ascencio-Chavez will have been in custody approximately 33 months.

However, Justice Alison Beames notes that the case is very complex and said Thursday that a “significant” amount of the delay in getting to trial can be attributed to his two co-accused and their lawyers. That is considered a “neutral” factor in a stay application, she said.

Beames noted the case was first scheduled to be heard by a provincial court judge, but the co-accused, a month before a voir dire was scheduled, decided instead to have the case heard by a Supreme Court judge and have a preliminary hearing. (A preliminary hearing is used to determine if there is enough information to proceed to trial).

The case was sent to Supreme Court a year ago to schedule a trial and although Ascencio-Chavez was ready to go in the early part of 2012, the other lawyers were not available until early this year, Beames noted.

The court institution, meanwhile, was available to accommodate a trial within guidelines set out by the courts, and the intake period for the case happened in a “timely” fashion, ruled Beames.

Ascencio-Chavez’ lawyer had argued some of the delay lay at the feet of the Crown, which rejected a bid to have Ascencio-Chavez’ case heard separately back in 2011. However, Beames felt that could have, instead, resulted in Ascencio-Chavez having to wait until after his co-accused went to trial before his case could be heard.

She found that the Crown did not contribute to the delay in getting the case to trial and ruled a stay of proceedings was not warranted in the case.

The case returns to court in February for a pre-trial conference scheduled in advance of the April trial.

Just Posted

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

Kelowna city councillor suggests bringing back photo radar

Gail Given says it could help generate traffic fine revenue for the city—and make roads safer

Interior Health holding immunization clinic in Vernon Saturday

IH issues list of Okanagan meningococcal immunization clinics

‘Game changer” research deal between three B.C. Interior universities

UBCO, TRU, UNBC say deal will help innovation, research, aid students and increase quality of life

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Annual Christmas meal held as Kelowna Gospel Mission

The meal will be held tomorrow from 12 to 6 p.m.

Michaels: Big Brother has become a big letdown

“You have nothing to fear if you have nothing to hide, but privacy should still have some appeal.”

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

Accused Shuswap drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

AHUS patient Shantee Anaquod is home for Christmas

Less than a month after receiving first dose of $750K drug, 23 year old healthy enough to go home

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Moose calves rescued in northern B.C. are ‘golden nuggets:’ researcher

Calves discovered near Prince George in late May. Mother had been killed by a car

Most Read