Dryer fire prompts evacuation of Kelowna retirement home

The fire was extinguished limiting damage to the dryer itself, and 39 residents were evacuated by staff and the fire department.

  • Wed Jan 6th, 2016 6:00am
  • News

Kelowna Fire Department evacuated a retirement home on Casorso Road after fire alarms sounded.

“The first arriving unit was met by employees (of White Heather Manor) stating there was a dryer fire in the laundry room,” said Tim Light, platoon captain for the Kelowna Fire Department.

“Employees were in the process of evacuating the occupants of the building.”

The fire was extinguished limiting damage to the dryer itself, and 39 residents were evacuated by staff and the fire department.

None of the residents were injured during the evacuation.

One worker was taken to hospital by BCAS to be checked for smoke inhalation.

Kelowna Fire Department responded three engines, two ladders, one rescue vehicle, a command vehicle and a safety vehicle, along with 17 personnel.