A Kelowna family may go to sleep tonight in their holiday trailer, following a fire that destroyed their rural home and all their possessions Wednesday.
“We got a call that somebody saw black smoke rising from the house at around 11:30 a.m.,” said Tim Light of the Kelowna Fire Department.
“We arrived and the home was fully involved with fire coming out of the windows and doors.”
The East Kelowna mobile home is in an isolated area, at the far end of Feeny Road, which is deep into the woods. The concern of the hour was not so much the structure, but whether it had been occupied when the flames grew out of control.
“We were told by a witness that the owner had left,” said Light. “But they were unsure if his two kids were there.”
In short order fire personnel contacted the man, who assured them that his children weren’t at home.
The homeowner, who asked to remain anonymous, returned to the scene in time to see fire fighters snuff out hotspots in the charred remains of his home.
He said that everything he owns, as well as all of his children’s clothes and toys, was destroyed in the fire. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have home insurance.
“It’s just stuff,” he said. “A lot more people are a lot worse off than I am.”
Emergency services workers were dispatched to the scene to help, but the victim said that he would likely be staying in his “holiday trailer” at his friend’s property in the days to come.
It’s believed that the home’s wood stove had sparked the blaze that completely caved in the structure.