Ronald Teneycke is escorted out of Penticton’s courthouse following dangerous offender hearings in the summer. Those hearings resumed Monday after a months long hiatus for Teneycke’s health complications. (Dustin Godfrey/Western News)

Even without indefinite sentence, Teneycke may face decades

Ronald Teneycke’s dangerous offender hearing resumed Monday, where Crown lawyers called for 20+ years

Even if an application to serve the South Okanagan’s most notorious criminal with an indefinite jail sentence fails, Crown lawyers are seeking nearly 25 more years in prison.

The dangerous offender hearing for Ronald Teneycke resumed Monday after a months long hiatus following a summer adjournment for Teneycke to deal with health related issues, having been diagnosed with leukemia.

Teneycke appeared weak in Penticton’s courthouse Monday afternoon, where Crown attorney Murray Kaay read off the litany of Teneycke’s offences, which span three-and-a-half decades.

Related: Ronald Teneycke diagnosed with leukemia

A dangerous offender hearing comes with the potential for an indefinite prison sentence for Teneycke, which Kaay said he felt was appropriate for a man with such a lengthy and violent criminal past as Kaay.

“The Crown submits it’s abundantly clear Mr. Teneycke embodies the very definition of a dangerous offender,” Kaay said.

“Criteria for designating an offender as dangerous has remained largely unchanged … and that is and has been predicated as being based on a fairly simple concept, and that is the common sense principle that past behaviour is the best predictor of future behaviour.”

Kaay had previously listed off a lengthy list of crimes Teneycke has been convicted of in his criminal career, ranging from sex assault with a weapon down to possession of methamphetamine.

Related: Dangerous offender hearing starts

Teneycke’s first offence was in 1981, and has included numerous violent robberies.

Teneycke’s most recent offence is the shooting and armed robbery of Wayne Belleville, who stopped to pick up a hitchhiking Teneycke in 2015. Teneycke shot Belleville in the back and stole his truck, and proceeded to flee from police.

Though the Crown is seeking an indefinite sentence through the dangerous offender application, Kaay also noted the hardline sentence he would be seeking if the dangerous offender application failed.

For shooting Belleville, the Crown is calling for 12 to 14 years, along with 14 to 16 years for the armed robbery of Belleville, and four to five years for fleeing from police — all of which would be served concurrent.

Related: Dramatic conclusion in RCMP hunt for Teneycke

On top of that, Teneycke is charged with an armed robbery of a woman, for which Crown is seeking 10 to 12 years, which would be served consecutive to the previous charges.

That would add up to 24 to 28 years in jail, minus about three-and-a-half years for time served, making for a sentence of about 21.5 to 24.5 years.

But Kaay stressed that, in his position, Teneycke appears to be incorrigible, having exhausted numerous sentence lengths and types.

Related: Last chance for prolific offender Teneycke

“The Crown submits, and in this regard it is amply supported by the record, that external control such as parole conditions and conditions of probation, conditions of recognizance, have had very limited effect, very limited effect in controlling Mr. Teneycke’s behaviour,” Kaay said.

“(A doctor’s analysis of) Mr. Teneycke’s both impressive and very criminal offending observed that Mr. Teneycke had been under legal orders for most of his adult life, which serves to underscore his inability to stay clear of legal transgression.”

Defence lawyer Michael Welsh said Teneycke is doing alright health-wise, albeit tired. He had been in the hospital earlier in the day for testing.

Welsh is set to make his closing remarks on the sentencing and dangerous offender hearing Tuesday morning.


@dustinrgodfrey

dustin.godfrey@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Kelowna Rockets hire former NHL defenceman as new head coach

Adam Foote named new head coach following the firing of Jason Smith earlier in week

UBCO Heat lose first homecoming match to number-one team in Canada

The UBC Thunderbirds earned 2-0 against the Heat

Former Kamloops sheriff caught in sex-related sting pleads guilty to lesser charge

Kevin Johnston will be sentenced on Nov. 6 for his role in communicating online with a person posing as a 14-year-old girl.

UPDATE: Peachland mayoral race may come down to luck of the draw

Harry Gough led incumbent Cindy Fortin by one vote on election night Saturday

New faces elected to Central Okanagan school board

New trustees will face school enrolment growth issues

Your morning news in 90: Oct. 23, 2018

Tune in for 90 seconds to get the top headlines for the Okanagan, Shuswap and Similkameen.

Around the BCHL: Chilliwack Chiefs snag spot in CJHL national rankings

Around the BCHL is a look at what’s happening in the BCHL and the junior A world.

Rural regions get priority for B.C. referendum mail-out

Ballot security measures aim to protect against voter fraud

B.C.’s natural gas supply could see 50% dip through winter due to pipeline blast

It’s been two weeks since the Enbridge pipeline ruptured near Prince George on Oct. 9, sparking a large fireball

Mega Millions, Powerball prizes come down to math, long odds

Biggest myth: The advertised $1.6 billion Mega Millions prize and $620 million Powerball prize aren’t quite real

2 Canadians advance to finals at world wrestling championships

Olympic champion Erica Wiebe just missed joining them with a loss 3-1 to three-time world champion Adeline Gray of the United States in the 76-kg event

Outdoor retailer MEC vows to boost diversity after online complaint

Mountain Equipment Co-op was criticized for perpetuating a white-only picture of the outdoors

Hergott: Word choices matter

Lawyer Paul Hergott discusses politically correctness in his latest column.

Trump vilifies caravan, says he’ll cut Central American aid

Despite Mexican efforts to stop them at the Guatemala-Mexico border, about 5,000 Central American migrants resumed their advance toward the U.S. border Sunday in southern Mexico.

Most Read