A Lawson Avenue fire was quickly snuffed out just before 9 p.m. Friday night, but the residents are still out of their home for the next few days while issues with the electrical system are sussed out.
When fire crews arrived to the home, they saw that there was some light smoke throughout the building and with a little further investigation it was discovered to be coming from behind a baseboard heater.
“Fire crews exposed the inside of the wall and some of the crawl space to extinguish the fire,” said Tim Light, Kelowna Fire Department Platoon Captain, in a press release.
“The resident and his son along with some pets are in care of Emergency Support Services for the next 72 hours as the power to his home has been cut off until the BC Safety Authority can investigate the electrical system in the house.”
The incident required 16 personnel and the use of three engines, one rescue unit, a command vehicle and a safety vehicle.
Kelowna Fire Department would like to advise the public to always have a working smoke alarm in their homes.