Firefighters douse kitchen blaze

A resident had to be pulled from his home following a kitchen fire.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a kitchen grease fire, Thursday evening.

Reports of flames coming from unit 10 at 1530 Kelglen Crescent were called in about 6:15 p.m.

When crews arrived they did not see fire coming from the structure right away, but instead found a man trying to put out flames in his kitchen.

Platoon Captain Scott Clark said the man had a grease fire in his kitchen and needed to be pulled out by fire crews.

“Two firefighters were able to enter with a fire extinguisher and knock the fire down quickly,” he said. “Damage to the structure is minor and is mostly cosmetic.”

The man had to be treated for smoke inhalation by BC Ambulance, but was not taken to hospital. He was the only person home at the time of the incident.

While the unit does share an adjoining wall with another home the flames did not spread.

Crews were uncertain, following the fire, if the man could return home for the night or if he would be put in the care of Emergency Care Services.